National Truck Driver Appreciation Week is Sept. 11-17, 2022
The Value of Our Truckers
More than 80% of our country’s neighborhoods and cities rely on truck drivers, including some of the most remote locations in the U.S. According to the most recent record, there are 3.6 million drivers making these trips! The work done by these men and women touches nearly every aspect of our daily lives, as they haul commercial goods, food, fuel, vaccines, emergency supplies, mail, construction components, and more. In fact, more than half of drivers log 500 miles or more per day, and cumulatively rack up more than 112,000 miles annually — approximately four times the length of the equator! As one of the most demanding and important roles in the nation, truck driving makes up the backbone of our nation.
The job of a truck driver goes beyond the simplicity of “sit and steer.” Every day, our drivers go above and beyond to deliver goods safely, securely, and on time. The role also demands managing busy schedules, adapting to ever-changing regulations, and navigating heavy traffic. It requires long hours — sometimes weeks — on the road and extended time away from family. All of these sacrifices are made so that businesses and individuals nationwide can receive the items they want and need.
Ways to Say “Thanks” to Truckers
When you’re behind the wheel, be sure to give big rigs (and their drivers!) room and respect, extending that courtesy to in-person interactions wherever you may meet. Contribute to and follow the National Truck Driver Appreciation Week conversation on social media by subscribing to hashtags like #ThankATrucker and #NTDAW2022. A quick wave, saying hello or expressing appreciation for a truck driver’s hard work would make a positive “real life” impact during Appreciation Week and beyond. Just as important: Keep thanking them after this week is over!
Appreciation Events & Things to Look For
- To celebrate NTDAW, Pilot is encouraging everyone to join in bringing back the infamous trucker arm pump! They’re also rewarding professional drivers all month with free drinks, new promotions and additional perks.
- Love’s Travel Stops are offering daily specials on fresh food, snacks and drinks!
- At Denny’s, truck drivers can receive a 10% discount key tag that is good to use at all Denny’s Travel Center locations.
- On September 12, the Maine Professional Drivers Association (MPDA), in conjunction with the Maine State Police, honored truck drivers with a free lunch to kick off National Truck Driver Appreciation Week!
- On Lynch Logistic’s Facebook page, we are giving away daily prizes to our drivers! Make sure to follow along here!
THANK YOU, TRUCK DRIVERS!